Friday 11 May 2018

Book Review - The Brighton Mermaid by Dorothy Koomson

Amazon UK
Title:  The Brighton Mermaid
Author: Dorothy Koomson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Cornerstone Digital
Publication Date: 17th May 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


Brighton Beach, 1993

Teenagers Nell and Jude find the body of a young woman and when no one comes to claim her, she becomes known as the Brighton Mermaid. Nell is still struggling to move on when, three weeks later, Jude disappears.

Twenty-five years on, Nell is forced to quit her job to find out who the Brighton Mermaid really was – and what happened to her best friend that summer.

But as Nell edges closer to the truth, dangerous things start to happen. Someone seems to be watching her every move, and soon she starts to wonder who in her life she can actually trust…

Fast-paced and thrilling, The Brighton Mermaid explores the deadly secrets of those closest to you.

I've been left reeling from this book that packs a humongous punch. The story builds steadily at first but when I sat down for the last 30% this evening, I didn't expect anything like what I read. 

It had been building to a fast paced, action packed, adrenalin fuelled finale where all those burning questions that you will have from reading the rest of the book get some answers.  I couldn't believe what I was reading and I can't tell you any more than that as it would be a huge spoiler. 

This is a book told from two viewpoints, Nell and her sister Macy.  Both of their lives changed massively in 1993, when Nell and her best friend Jude find a dead body on the beach, who is unidentified but definitely murdered. 

Shortly after that Jude disappeared and was never heard from again, and the sisters have to continue with their life, despite the directions the police investigation was going in. 

The story is told in a mix of past and present as we are brought up to date with Nell's life and why 25 years on she is obsessed with discovering the identity of the Brighton Mermaid. 

The writing is fabulous, I was drawn completely into the story and had my own thoughts as to how it would pan out and  I was wrong. I am utterly convinced that Dorothy Koomson gets better and better with every single book, and this is no exception.  My only regret is that I read it so soon after getting it so that I now probably have another years wait for another book from this superb author. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Cornerstone for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...