Tuesday 13 March 2018

Book Review - Sunshine at the Comfort Food Cafe by Debbie Johnson

Amazon UK
Title: Sunshine at the Comfort Food Cafe
Author: Debbie Johnson
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 8th March 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


My name is Willow Longville. I live in a village called Budbury on the stunning Dorset coast with my mum Lynnie, who sometimes forgets who I am. I’m a waitress at the Comfort Food Café, which is really so much more than a café … it’s my home.

For Willow, the ramshackle café overlooking the beach, together with its warm-hearted community, offers friendship as a daily special and always has a hearty welcome on the
menu. But when a handsome stranger blows in on a warm
spring breeze, Willow soon realises that her quiet country
life will be changed forever.

Another absolutely amazing story set around the village of Bubury and featuring The Comfort Food Cafe.  I felt so at home really quickly, with all of the recurring characters, and this book focuses on Willow's story, whereas she has previously just been a side character. 

This totally works as a standalone, and the mechanism used to give the relevant back details for all the previous books in a quick and easy to understand way, or as a great reminder for those that haven't got the best memories, was really clever and fitted into the book seamlessly. 

I won't lie this story may affect some people a lot more than others, due to Willow's mum Lynnie and what they have to deal with on a day to day basis. Not only that but Willow as well as caring for her mother, also runs a cleaning business, and is a waitress at the cafe. She is distanced from her three older siblings, and just doesn't think she has time for love. 

Enter Tom, gorgeous new guy to the area, a bit socially awkward, slightly geeky but generally all around fabulous once you start to get to know him.  He and Willow hit it off instantly and I loved their rather weird conversations, as well as their normal ones, was impressed they seemed to be on the same wavelength. 

All of the familiar villagers are present and I loved seeing more of all of them, as well as the latest updates to all the other previous main characters in this series which just adds to my love of a series Catching up with old friends and making new ones. 

In fact with the depth of Willow's story I think this may be the best book in the series so far, and I'm positive that with every book I read from Debbie Johnson they really do just get better and better. 

I loved every last second of this wonderful book, it was pure escapism and took me to warmer climes in the middle of a cold snap in the UK, which is just what I love about books.   I can't wait to read more from this fantastic author. 

Thanks to Netgalley and Harper for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...