Tuesday 20 March 2018

Book Review - Million Love Songs by Carole Matthews

Amazon UK
Title: Million Love Songs
Author: Carole Matthews
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Sphere
Publication Date: 22nd March 2018
Rating: 5 Stars


After splitting up with her cheating ex, Ruby Brown is ready for a change. She's single again for the first time in years and she's going to dive into this brave new world with a smile on her face and a spring in her step. The last thing she's looking for is a serious relationship.

Mason represents everything Ruby wants right now: he's charming, smooth and perfect for some no-strings-attached fun, and yet Ruby can't help feel that something is missing. Joe on the other hand is kind and attentive, but he comes with the sort of baggage Ruby wants to avoid: an annoyingly attractive ex-wife and two teenage children.

And though Ruby thinks she knows what she wants, is it what she needs to be truly happy? It's about to get emotional in Million Love Songs.

I only have one regret from having read this book, I feel like my enjoyment would have been heightened had I had Take That on a loop in the background. I say this as Ruby's best friend, Charlie was my favourite character of the whole book. 

And Charlie is a massive Thatter and even has a life size cardboard cutout of Gary Barlow in her house.  In fact she is devoting her life to Gary Barlow,  I regard myself as a huge Take That fan, or at least I did until I read about Charlie and her antics, and the sheer amount of other events going on around the country for fans, in addition to chasing down potential sightings.  

Obviously Charlie was the character I connected with most, but what of Ruby our main character? Well I enjoy reading all of Ruby's antics and there are some very memorable scenes including some in Paris, a birthday party, and another moment of potential bonding with one of her prospects teenage children. 

Ruby for most of the book seemed to be bouncing back and forth between two men,  Mason who is a known womaniser and Joe who is a diving instructor when he can spare the time.  They are completely different in all aspects of life and Ruby seems to gain different things from each of them. 

I really enjoyed reading Million Love Songs, and despite needing Patience with Ruby's male dilema, I did have to Pray that Charlie may get a man for herself.  Sure there were some highs and lows, especially since Mason seemed to want to Rule the World at private member club ownership, and there were many Promises being made by both the men to Ruby. 

This is a book which I took a real Shine to, and it seemed like The Flood of Take That references would make it so that you could Never Forget just who it was Charlie loved. Being a massive fan of Carole Matthews, it always is the Greatest Day when a new book from her is announced. Just How Deep Is Your Love going to be for this marvellous book?

Thank you to Sphere and Netgalley for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...