Saturday 9 September 2017

Book Review - The Second Sister by Claire Kendal

Amazon UK
Title: The Second Sister
Author: Claire Kendal
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Publisher supplied review copy
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 4th May 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


It is ten years since Ella's sister Miranda disappeared without trace, leaving her young baby behind. Chilling new evidence links Miranda to the horrifying Jason Thorne, now in prison for murdering several women. Is it possible that Miranda knew him?

At thirty, Miranda’s age when she vanished, Ella looks uncannily like the sister she idolized. What holds Ella together is her love for her sister’s child and her work as a self-defence expert helping victims.

Haunted by the possibility that Thorne took Miranda, and driven by her nephew’s longing to know about his mother, Ella will do whatever it takes to uncover the truth – no matter how dangerous…

Slow burning psychological thriller that once it finally gripped me, I had to finish in one go. However it did take about 300 pages for it to become that much of a compulsive read.  

What I did really like from the start was the voice of the book, it was easy to follow, and explained things reasonably well. The story takes place over a relatively short time frame, but yet the pacing didn't seem that quick. 

It is 10 years since Miranda's disappearance, leaving behind her baby and family. On this anniversary of her disappearance Ella, her sister, starts to investigate again to see if she can work out what really happened to her sister. This takes her into some unsettling scenarios. 

I didn't really get a feel at all for who or what may have happened, didn't have any wild guesses at all, and for a fair amount of the book I wasn't even sure I minded what happened. I was curious, but not great desire. Even after seeing the climax that was brilliantly written, I still can't help but wonder about all the motives for various occurrences. 

I loved Ella's fierce protectiveness for her family, and how her life must have changed in the 10 years with a missing sister. She is fabulous at self defense and makes it her mission to protect vulnerable people, and try to kit them with the tools to boost their confidence. Ella is rather inspiring and really is what kept my interest in the whole story. 

The Second Sister is the first book I had read by Claire Kendal, and I can conclude she is a great writer, certainly set the scene and I loved the way that Luke was written. I just wish The Second Sister had been slightly quicker paced, or had grabbed me just a bit more speedily. 

Thank you to Harper Collins for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...