Friday 8 September 2017

Book Review - Elephant and Pinky Moon by Lilac Mills

Amazon UK
Title: Elephant and Pink Moon
Author: Lilac Mills
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: Lilac Tree Books
Publication Date: 31st July 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


Twenty-eight-year-old Nina lives a quiet, unassuming life, happy (ish) with her job, maybe not quite as happy with her non-existent love-life (but no one can have everything, right?) and content to trundle along with her nice, predictable daily routine.

That is, until Nina is persuaded to accompany her octogenarian grandmother on a beach holiday to Turkey.

Nina envisages sedate walks along the promenade, afternoon naps by the pool, and bingo in the evening. What she actually gets is too much vodka, adult games of "pin the tail on the donkey" and dancing on a bar whilst flaunting her knickers - and that's just her gran!

Perfect summer holiday reading, this book is so so funny and incredibly easy to read. I was transported on Flossie and Nina's holiday as a fly on the wall, laughing at their various antics. 

Flossie is in her 80s, recently bereaved but is determined to live life the to fullest. She persuades grand daughter Flossie to accompany her on a package holiday to Turkey which is where the fun starts. Nina couldn't be more different to her gran, she lives a fairly predictable life, and just hopes Flossie will be able to keep up with her on holiday. 

Nina has very set ideas about what is or isn't suitable for an older woman, and its from that point of view, we  see just what Flossie is capable of! If I told you the things that happened in the book, you probably wouldn't believe me, so I would urge you to read for yourself. 

What I will say is is Flossie is cunning, wily, up for most things, and doesn't see herself as old. She is outrageous, unintentionally funny, embarrassing for Nina perhaps, but I would be proud to have a grandma like Flossie. 

I don;t know about you, but the cover definitely drew me into this book, and the title is interesting. I won't explain the relevance of it but it does become quite apparent as you read on, a private joke between the two ladies. 

I loved the hotel the Flossie and Nina went to, and some of the excursions they take are fabulous, I would have quite happily taken part in.  Then there is the authors writing, some of the descriptions are brilliant, especially the scene involving an octopus, and also the scene involving Nina being terrified  while wanting to scream at Flossie for the situation she found herself in!  

My only regret with Elephant and Pinky Moon is that the book isn't longer, I finished it far too quickly, for it only took me a morning of sitting in the sun to read. I was devouring it with a massive grin on my face and think its a brilliant romantic comedy. 

Thank you to Netgalley and Lilac Tree Books for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...