Thursday 31 August 2017

Book Review - Sunshine After The Rain by Daisy James

Amazon UK
Title: Sunshine After The Rain
Author: Daisy James
Format reviewed: Ebook
Source: Netgalley
Publisher: HQ Digital 
Publication Date: 5th July 2017
Rating: 4 Stars


A summer that changes everything…
Frazzled workaholic Evie Johnson has finally had enough! When she’s blamed for a publicity disaster at the art gallery she loves, she decides to flee the bright lights of London for the sun-drenched shores of Corfu and turn her life upside-down.

Under the shade of the olive trees, she picks up her dusty paintbrushes and begins to chase the dreams she had put aside for so long. But she never expected to bump into drop-dead-gorgeous Sam Bradbury – and certainly not whilst wrapped only in a towel!

A summer fling is the last thing Evie wanted but a few stolen kisses under the stars might just begin to change her mind…

Highly entertaining story about rediscovering your passions, and about silver linings to potential disasters.

What struck me most about Sunshine After The Rain were the descriptions of Corfu, which really brought the scenery alive for me. I laughed out loud when I realised I was approaching a scene that included not only a flirty, good looking Greek man, but also boat - although that may just be my love of Shirley Valentine reaching out! 

Then there were the descriptions of various ends of the colour spectrum when discussing painting and watercolours. I could see the various shades of blue so clearly, and just wished I was in Corfu alongside Evie to be able to see the landscapes for myself. 

Three things drew me towards this book initially - the bright vibrant cover, the author Daisy James, whose books I always tend to enjoy, and the setting of Corfu.  Yet the first few chapters which really set up exactly why Evie goes to Greece, and that set the tone for the book, really drew me in, and I was enjoying them a lot, which only heightened once we get to the sun drenched shores of Corfu. 

The story was easy to follow and I just love this authors writing ability, and the way she can draw me into the story and see everything so vividly in my minds eye.  Oh and Sam Bradbury's character may have had a lot do with some my enjoyment too, especially a scene with pool, no one around and very little clothing! In fact Sam generally was great, he encourages Evie to try to get over her artistic block, and also acts as a partial tour guide to parts of Corfu that are slightly off the beaten track. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Sunshine After The Rain and I'm already looking forward to reading the next book written by Daisy James. 

Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...