Sunday 20 August 2017

Book Review - The House by Simon Lelic

Amazon UK
Title: The House
Author: Simon Lelic
Format reviewed: Paperback
Source: Publisher supplied review copy
Publisher: Penguin
Publication Date: 17th August 2017
Rating: 5 Stars


Whose story do YOU believe?

Londoners Jack and Syd moved into the house a year ago. It seemed like their dream home: tons of space, the perfect location, and a friendly owner who wanted a young couple to have it.

So when they made a grisly discovery in the attic, Jack and Syd chose to ignore it. That was a mistake.

Because someone has just been murdered outside their back door. And now the police are watching them.

THIS STORY IS THEIR CHANCE...

TO PROVE THEY'RE INNOCENT. 
OR TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER.

Incredibly creepy and addictive story that I was scarcely able to tear myself away from. There is just something about this authors writing style that enticed me in and just wouldn’t let me go.

Although the book is called The House, it is about so much more than a house, although it is the trigger for everything that happens. For the first part of the book the story alternates between Jack and Syd telling the story in their easily identifiable voices.

They are writing down exactly what happened as they understand it, to get it clear to themselves, and there is a bit of a chatty feel to the writing, as we get to see all the odd occurrences that happened from the time they found this rather creepy house.

The timeline isn’t completely chronological as it is how they have remembered the events and the order they feel things need to be explained to anyone that reads this account.  Jack’s story is one that I had no problem reading, I just didn’t fully take to his character, but he seemed like a nice enough guy.

However Syd’s story is what makes the book, I loved her voice, and what comes out from her backstory is gripping, horrendous and made me really root for her. She has had a troubled life and yet she still tries to help someone else who she can see in a similar sort of situation.

Whether Syd or Jack’s judgments were always correct, I’ll say that by the time we reach part of the book, I had no choice but to curl up on the sofa and pray that I had no interruptions, I was hooked and raced through the second half of the book, eager to see just what it would bring.

There are many twists and surprises to come, and I was kept guessing throughout.  I’m not sure exactly how you would describe this book, it doesn’t feel quite like a psychological thriller, but it’s definitely full of suspense, creepy feelings and gripping writing.

This is the first time I have come across the author Simon Lelic, and I am very impressed by the writing, and storytelling. Definitely an author I need to keep an eye on future releases from.


Thank you to Annie Hollands at Dead Good Books for this copy which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...